Monday 29 August 2016

THE OLD TUSKER!


Some elephants are really old,
With tusks that stretch so long
And so they're not just brave and bold,
But really, really strong!
So give respect to elephants,
They've got a lot to bear,
Up close, I've only seen them once,
In Regents Park, somewhere...

I'd go boss-eyed with tusks like those
That dangled long and low,
I've got no trunk, I've just a nose,
Much easier to blow...
Imagine if you stood as tall,
With tusks that weighed a ton,
I know I'd need a miracle
To stand, then walk, then run!

Look at their ears, my word, they're grand,
Like dustbin lids, my friends,
So try at least to understand
When you meet elephants!
Just think of those in Africa
And India as well,
It doesn't matter, near or far,
Each has a tale to tell...


Denis Martindale, copyright August 2016.


A poem based on a magnificent wildlife painting
by Stephen Gayford. Google-search phrases
gayford prints and 'Stephen Gayford poetry'.

:::
:::